Elm Street Enterprises at Elm Street Elementary School, a STEM curriculum designed for learning through entrepreneurship, giving back, and developing a world vision, including enterprises such as:
- Sugar Kids Beauty
- Elm Kids Construction: “Tiny House – Big Dreams”
- Elm SCENTsational Slime
- Maker Market on Elm Street
- PAWSitive Kids
- Creative Technology Design
- Caring & Giving
Elm Street Elementary School is a Georgia STEM certified school and one of five in Georgia selected as a “2017 Family Friendly School.” At Elm Street students are learning through a business and engineering design model as early as Kindergarten. Along with enterprises and entrepreneurships, the school works toward social awareness and giving back to the community. Using funds raised through it’s many businesses, the school has supported the Rome Community and beyond. Examples include:
- Six Months supply of food for the Rome Community Kitchen
- Corporate Sponsor for the Floyd NICU unit
- Refurbishing of the Ronald McDonald House
- Providing a student-built “Tiny House” for a homeless veteran; second house under construction
- Fundraising for the Salvation Army through a Fun Run and donations
- Family Crochet event to make mats for the homeless from 50,000 recycled Plastic bags
- Donated over 80,000 bottles of water to Hurricane Harvey victims, partnering with The Museum of Flight
- Animal shelter support and projects
- CARE packages to overseas troops
- Provided a family in need with transportation to Atlanta Hospital
Jay Shell is not a lifetime Roman but you’d think he was by seeing the compassion he has for this community.
Moving to Rome 19 years ago, he has been involved in the following:
- Downtown Development Authority as Promotion Chairman and Business Improvement Board
- Floyd County Board of Education
- Community Coach for Rome Floyd Parks and Rec
- Leadership Rome
- Owning a business on Broad Street (originally 333 on Broad, then Brewhouse and now Rome City Brewing Co.), Jay has often helped people on the street with food warm clothing or job opportunities.
- Has hired bands to assist fund raisers such as: Exchange Club Family Resource Center, Cancer Navigators and The Heart of the Community.
- Rome River Jam Concerts
Jay has been married to Melissa for 19 years. They have two children, Madalyn and Jaxson.
Nominators for Jay share: “Jay is the kind of person who not only makes you proud of how far Rome has come, but proud to be a Roman.”